Monday, August 1, 2011

What does it Mean When you Dream in Spanish?


Last night I dreamt in Spanish. I cannot quite remember what it was about but I do remember only being able to speak in Spanish. I couldn't really understand what everyone was saying.It was a pretty confusing dream considering that I didn't have a clue about what was going on, but that has pretty much been the theme of this whole trip.

All day every day I am surrounded by Spanish and I really think that I am learning a lot but that certainly doesn't make it any easier. Rebeca and I speak to each other in English/Spanish. I try to use as much Spanish with her as possible and she usually ends up correcting me and then we switch to English and then we go back to Spanish...Etc etc etc.. She has been a great resource and we like to laugh at each other's pronunciation of different English and Spanish words. Paula(1o years old) talks to me in as much English as possible and when she uses Spanish she tries to go really slowly because she knows I will end up just saying "Que?" or "uhhhhh". Marco(8 years old) doesn't know much English so when he talks to me, it is completely in Spanish. He doesn't slow down for one second (in word or deed). haha!

Along with Rebeca there are other people that have helped me with my Spanish, or encouraged me with it. Some of Rebeca's friends help me with it and one of her friends, Conchita, told me that she is just going to talk to me in Spanish while she is here for this week. So obviously you shouldn't be surprised that I was dreaming in Spanish! haha
Another person that has helped me with my Spanish is a friend of Rebeca and Sandro's, Marc. He owns a coffee shop in the village and I went in to say hi and grab a coffee the other day and ended up receiving a mini Spanish lesson! He first gave me a magazine and said "read, it will help you". He knows a fair amount of English, which helps with his teaching! I took some pictures of the notes he made for me while I was having my coffee.

In this note we are working on when to lisp with a "C". Can you guess which ones you are supposed to lisp? :)

I was explaining my siblings to him so he told me how to do it in Spanish....

And then we worked on the "to be" verbs...:)


He was so nice to help me and it has encouraged me to crack open my Spanish textbook and work on my verbs....

I hope everyone is having a lovely day! Please pray for me, I have a cold and I am thankfully getting some rest but I want to be back to 100% ASAP.

Love you guys!






3 comments:

  1. It's so funny that they go straight to teaching you when to lisp when in reality, you need fundamental help. Typical of someone who is proud of their language! It's so interesting to see his verb conjugations esp since in our Spanish classes here in the states, teachers always glide over the vosotros conjugations saying, "You don't really need to know that form since it's really only spoken in some areas of Spain..." Here you are needing to know it!! Loved the post!! Get well soon!! XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post!! Rebecca that's really funny about that form! haha! I am looking at your notes while I have my coffee this morning. I can't really read the rest of his writing, but I bet you don't lisp the c in cerveza, just the z? :) So fun!!

    I'm glad you dreamed in spanish!!! That is so awesome!! Once I dreamed in french after I was writing a paper for french class late at night! :) I wish it would happen again! You're going to be so good at spanish when you come back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah you actually do lisp the c and z... weird, huh?

    I hope I am good at spanish! I intend to be fluent some day.. I just need to make sure i work on it when I get back!!

    ReplyDelete