Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Random

This post is going to be a random post about some thoughts I have had about Spain, the people here, and the general culture... accompanied by some pictures... I have also come to some conclusions about Americans... =) I hope you enjoy....


OMG it´s Christian Ronaldo!!!!

You know you are in Spain when you look up from your breakfast and see a kid decked out in a Real Madrid outfit. He was serious.

I have made a couple of friends here in Spain. Everyone is generally really nice but most of my relationships are pretty shallow because of the language barrier...But I have made a couple of friends who speak pretty fluent English. I exchange English and Spanish lessons with a girl who works at the front deskat the hotel(Gloria) and I have become friends with another girl who works at the reception desk(Nuria). They are both super nice and I am glad that they speak English! They are a huge blessing!
Yesterday I went to the pool with Nuria. We had an awesome time and got to have a great conversation. I will write a post about it soon!









Mmmmmm Chocolate.....


Some things I have noticed about Americans
You know you are an
American when you have to train for a 5k...

Now I know a lot of people are going to protest this one and say they could certainly run 3.1 miles with ease but honestly most Americans could not. And what I have observed about the general population of Spain is that they could easily run three to five miles without any problems. This is interesting but useful when you need to go for a run because there are usually a couple of people who are glad to join you on a run.


You know you are an American when you think the hamburger patty should at least be three times larger...."IS this a burger for ANNTTS???"



This picture was taken by Rebeca.. She was laughing at me because I was having difficulty on a hill with the stick shift.. She just laughed and said "I will take a foto for your blog!" lol You know you are an American when you barely fit in your host family's car




You know you are an American when you can't help but laugh a little when you see a guy in capris or leggings.. hehehe I just had a mental picture..
Sorry I dont have a real picture =(


I played soccer the other day and I realized I really stink at it...

I realize that I am in the country that won the world cup in 2010 but yall, seriously, they are good.

Hopefully a couple of those random thoughts made you laugh or maybe you just think I am crazy..Ahh well.


Update!


Things are going really well here in Spain thus far. I have been here for about a month. Sometimes it feels like MUCH longer and sometimes I am surprised at how fast time is passing.



Emotionally I am doing well, I am glad to be here and I am not too homesick. I think I am most homesick for the friends and family I have back home. Yall are so wonderful and encouraging! Thanks for always being there for me and thanks for the emails and gchat conversations! =)


Physically I believe that I am fine, thankfully I have gotten over that cold and I feel a lot better. Unfortunately I have been having some pain in my shins similar to shin splints but I think I am going to be okay. I just haven't been running this week to try to give my body a rest...I went running the other day to test it out and had to stop because I was having weird muscle pain =(. So for now I am taking a break from running, I do not want to have to deal with some sort of weird injury here in Spain. NOTHANKYOU.


I have really enjoyed meeting people and making new friends here in Spain. I just wish I was fluent in Spanish!



I hope everyone is doing well. I am sorry I have not been posting as much, but it is hard to post from another computer..I do not get internet on my computer at the hotel which is suppperrr annoying.

I LOVE you guys and I miss you!


My friend Jenny is here so that has been really fun. She is great to talk to and she helps with the kiddos =)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, that day at the pool looks so awesome!! Last summer, when we were laying around my apartment pool, who would have thought...!?

    That's funny about the running thing! People are just so much more used to moving their bodies there, I guess! (This has inspired me to go for my walk, which I was about to cancel.:)

    That's a FUNNY little hamburger. I like little hamburgers, but shouldn't they have little buns? lol

    Glad you're doing well and making friends, Amy. :) I think when you get back here the contrast between how much Spanish you knew when you left, and how much you know now will seem so huge!! But I know knowing a lot's not the same as fluent... Especially when they talk so fast! But it's cool that you're learning so much. I'm jealous! Anyway, thanks for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Not fitting in the car--that's so funny too! Maybe THAT's why everyone in France just automatically spoke english to Steve! haha (I mean, they didn't see him trying to get into a car, but they didn't have to...)

    ReplyDelete