Saturday, September 3, 2011

How much trouble can two American girls get into on a Friday afternoon?

Not too Much... But Just Enough...

Jenny and I had a lot of fun wandering around the village, playing with the kids, and just relaxing during the week she was in Puigcerda. I am so glad that she came and visited me here in this random Spanish village.

During one of our last days in Puigcerda together, we decided to take a walk to the nearby village. That village just so happened to be in France which made it especially interesting. The walk to and from the village was a lot more fun than the actual village. In all honesty it was pretty sketchy and all of the shops we went into smelled badly(except for the pastry shop we went into, but the lady who worked in there was really snobby and a little creepy so we just left without buying anything). On the way from the village we took some random photos...



But then it looked like it was going to storm so we hurried our little booties to the car and upon returning to campus, we decided it would be fun to go for a run. But the problem is that we only had twenty minutes. It was starting to get more windy but it couldn't rain that hard could it? Just kidding. It POURED the entire time we were running(and stopped as soon as we got up to our room). I loved it and I felt like a little kid as I sprinted back to the hotel. Jenny wasn't as impressed with running in the rain but I think she still enjoyed it.

So I forgot to mention that we sort of met some Americans right before we started our run. I was telling Jenny something about our crazy run we were about to take and one of them looked straight at us and goes "woah hey, is that english????". Too busy to say more I looked at him, said "yeah" and started running away. Thinking back now, I realize that was pretty rude but honestly all I wanted to do was go for a run.

Before rushing to get the kids, I asked Nuria at the front desk about the guys who had been talking to her when we left. She just said that they were french guys and they weren't very attractive. At this point I was laughing and said "All I care about is that they spoke English and I think they are American". We argued for a bit about if they were French or American and I finally said, "Maybe they are Canadian!".
We finally figured out that they were with a sport group from France so the chances were getting kind of slim that they were actually Americans but I was still hopeful....

Reason #1 I was excited about the Americans:
I have been here a month in puigcerda and not having anyone here to understand what I am saying 100% of the time is frustrating. Yes Rebeca is fluent but there are just so many things in my vocabulary that are so very American. So the thought that there was someone who was fluent in english in Puircerda made me pretty excited... . I know what you are thinking, 'isn't her friend Jenny there?'... Yes she is, but she doesn't count because she makes the story less dramatic.

Reason #2
I dont need another reason... They are Americans, y'all!!!! (maybe)

Four or five hours later....

Jenny and I are peacefully eating dinner in the cafeteria at the hotel. There is no one else around and we are glad to have a chance to relax a little and have a salad, some chicken, and hot soup.
Lovely empty cafeteria.....


We were discussing the two guys that may or may not be American and also the fact there was some sort of sport team here from France, hockey or futbol or something.
All of a sudden we hear what sounded like a large group of people walking down one of the halls to the cafeteria. Our relaxing little dinner was about to be turned upside-down. The talking, laughing, and stomping got louder and all of sudden there were thirty French guys in the cafeteria, staring at us like they had never seen a female. There was a moment where they were staring at us and I was contemplating grabbing my leg of chicken and hightailing it to the kitchen to hide but I calmly kept eating my soup and tried to not look at Jenny because I knew we would start laughing or something. They begin to go through the line and I guess I figured they would all sit together away from us. Wrong. In five minutes our little table was surrounded by 30 Frenchmen and 60 French eyes.
And one of them came and sat down...right. next. to me. Consequently he was one that looked like Zach Galifianakis from the hangover, complete with beard and man purse (not lying). He was also the one who didn't speak ANY English so he just sat down really close to me, smiled and said 'Haiii!'.
He's a Keeper for sure...**

At this point there was really no way to stop the laughter and because I felt like every move I was making was being watched, and it was at this point I realized I would not be able to finish my food. Poor little chicken leg, we would have been so happy in the kitchen.
I was about to grab Jenny's hand and head for the hotel room but then I heard someone say in perfect English "ahh the girls from Texas! What's up?". It was the AMERICAN from earlier in the day! Thankfully he sat down with us and helped with Sebastian Manpurse. (his name really is Sebastian btw)
The American's name was Kirk and he is playing hockey with this team from Toulouse for a little while. He is from Colorado and is really nice. We were all refreshed by the fact that we were able to communicate and that we all got each others humor.

The French players continued eating their food and staring awkwardly while Jenny and I spoke with Colorado boy. The whole ordeal was probably one of the most awkward moments of my life, but it was also hilarious so I guess that was worth it.
Later, Jenny and I escaped the grounds of the hotel and walked into the village and go to a little cafe/bar called Central Park. It was so nice to be able to relax and we made friends with some of the workers at the bar. Most everyone I have met in Spain have been so friendly and nice. I really like the community here in this village and I am so glad that I am lucky enough to be here!

I hope you enjoyed this little story... Thanks for reading! Love you guys!

** I totally snuck that picture of Sebastian while we were saying goodbye to the nice American guys. Really not sure what he is doing with his right hand...

2 comments:

  1. Was he sucking his thumb??


    I think so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the wet cats' expressions - made me chuckle. Thanks for posting these; It's good to see christian bloggers out there :-)
    K

    ReplyDelete